Resident Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report a maintenance item?

For normal non-urgent maintenance items please mail or fax your written request.  Be sure to provide us with the best possible time to reach you.  If the item is urgent and it is during regular business hours (Monday – Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.), you may call our office at (785) 842-7644 to report the problem, or print and fax our form.  To report emergency maintenance needs, be sure the receptionist is informed that you have a maintenance emergency.  If it is after business hours, call our Maintenance Staff at 785-979-5829.  For police or fire emergencies, dial 911 before calling us.

What is considered an emergency?

The following are examples of maintenance emergencies.  The main sewer line is backed up.  A pipe broke and water is leaking into the home.  There was a break-in and you have an unsecured entrance to the home.  If you have a maintenance emergency after hours please call 785-979-5829.  Someone will respond within 30 minutes.  If you call the emergency maintenance number and is not an actual emergency, you could be charged for the call.

Can I be charged for maintenance at the property?

Yes, if resident damage or neglect causes the maintenance, you will be charged for it.  Also, you can be billed for a service call if you miss an appointment with one of our maintenance contractors.

Can I install cable or satellite TV at the property?

Generally, yes.  However, you must first obtain written permission from Gage Management.  At some units you may be prohibited from installing a satellite dish in any location where the dish is visible from the ground or from any other unit in the area.  Any cost of installation is an expense of the resident.

Can I install extra telephone lines?

Generally, yes.  However, you must also obtain written permission from Gage Management to do this.  All costs of installing extra phone lines are the responsibility of the resident.

What are my rights to privacy if the landlord wants to enter the property?

We will call you or give you a written notice if we need to enter the home for showings.  If you call and request maintenance we will enter your residence if you are not home. If you would like to be there for the appointment please request we call before coming each time you make a maintenance request.

What are my responsibilities if my company transfers me before the end of the lease?

Most leases are for a set period of time.  If you are transferred, ask your company what assistance they will provide if you need to “break a lease”.  Let the office know what is happening as soon as possible so we can begin marketing the property for a replacement resident.  Please call the office to discuss the requirements for early termination of your lease.

Can I sublease the property?

You are not allowed to sublease to someone on your own without our written permission. You are allowed to sublease if you follow our procedure as specified on the Sublease Request Form available at the office. There is a fee of $400. One half is due when you turn in the form and the other half is due when we find someone to take over your property (before the lease will be signed). Your lease and the responsibility for the property will end. You will be required to give us a few days to make sure the property is ready for the new resident. You are responsible for all rent payments until someone is found to take over.

Can I rent a steam cleaner and clean the carpets myself when I move out?

No.  Your rental agreement provides that you will be charged a carpet or wood floor cleaning fee and we will schedule cleaning after you check out.

Can I get a pet after move-in?

Please contact the office to see if your residence allows pets. If pets are allowed you will need to sign a new lease which will included a pet deposit.

When and how should I give my notice to vacate?

Your lease does not automatically renew. You are required to be completely finished with moving and cleaning by 12:00pm on the last day of your lease. Month-to-month lease require notice at least 30 days prior to the next rent due date.

What happens if my roommate moves out before the end of the lease?

If your roommate moves out, a written notice needs to be submitted to us.  Remember that tenants are jointly and singularly liable to ensure that the rent is paid.  You must have written permission from us to substitute a roommate.  (It is not our responsibility to arbitrate or mediate problems with multiple tenant situations).

What happens to the disposition of a roommate’s security deposit after move-out?

Security deposits are collected as “security” for the property.  Reimbursements to departing roommates are handled by the remaining tenants.  No portion of the security deposit will be refunded individually.

I have always paid my rent on time.  Why did I receive a 3-day notice when the rent was only 6 days late?

The rent is due on the first of the month.  If the rent is not posted in our office by the fifth we serve a 3-day notice.

I am an excellent resident and take good care of the home.  Can you waive my late charges?

No.  We do not waive late charges.  Fair Housing laws require that we treat all our residents equally.  We cannot decide if one resident is more deserving than another of paying late charges, therefore we enforce late charges across the board.